In terms of the railway network, Indian Railways is the fourth largest which is a lifeline for millions of people using it every day. It consists of freight, passengers, suburban rail systems, tourists, toy trains, and luxury trains. Railways help to the huge population to run their business daily successfully. It transports almost 2.5 crore passengers daily.
Let’s see here the fascinating facts about Indian Railways,
1. The first train runs on India is between Bombay to Thane on 16th April 1853.
2. The world’s third largest network with a total length of 127,760 km is Indian Railway.
3. Top five luxury trains in Indian railways
Royal Rajasthan on Wheels,
Palace on Wheels (Rajasthan),
The Golden Chariot (Karnataka and Goa),
The Maharajas’ Express (begins in Delhi but the itinerary differs) and
The Deccan Odyssey (begins in Maharashtra but itinerary differs).
4. In Indian railway, there is a diamond crossing, which goes north, south, and east, west located in Nagpur.
5. It has the longest tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir named as Pir Panjal railway tunnel which is 11.25kilometers long.
6. Bholu is the mascot of Indian Railways which was designed by National Institute of Design in 2002 April 16th. Bholu - the guard elephant.
7. The fastest train in India is Bhopal Shatabdi Express runs between New Delhi and Bhopal.
8. The longest named train station is Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta in Andrapradesh State.
9. The Gorakhpur station is the world’s longest railway platform which has the length of 1,366.33 m.
10. The oldest functioning steam engine in the world is The Fairy Queen runs New Delhi and Alwar in Rajasthan.
11. The most beautiful train station in India is Chhatrapati Sivaji Terminus.
12. The busiest station is Howrah which has a frequency of 974.
13. World’s tallest railway bridge under construction in Jammu and Kashmir is Chenab Bridge
14. India’s first modern metro with most advanced technologies is The Delhi Metro.
15. Loco-pilots are paid more than an average software engineer get paid in India.
16. The IRCTC website gets around 12 lakh hits per minute.
17. Red Ribbon Express is an AIDS/HIV awareness campaign train introduced by the Indian Railways, launched on World AIDS Day, December 1, 2007.
18. India’s first double Decker train is Ahmedabad Mumbai Central Double Decker Express
19. The maximum number of routes emerging in Mathura junction.
20. Mettupalayam- Ooty -Nilgiri passenger train is the slowest train in India.